Monday, September 17, 2018

The Injustice League


The bewildered look on my face may have something to do with sitting on the lap of someone I wasn't familiar with. I'm guessing that there may have been a handful of awkward moments before returning to my mother's arms.

The labyrinth of life can be a series of peculiar minutes and uncertain situations. As I look into the eyes of myself in the above picture, I consider how such a small life could have ever experienced a peculiarity like injustice.

Our world has become a succession of appalling and horrendous events perpetuated by broken people. At some point within their lives, they saw a crime as being the only way of righting the wrong that may have happened to them.

Perhaps, that is what went through the mind of my abuser as he carried out his plan against me. While it was out in the open at my school's playground, I'm sure my only thought was to enjoy recess that day, as any kindergarten aged child should.

Yet, as it happened, there was no caped crusader to swoop in and save me from the clutches of those participating in the offense. The fallout of that day had me fearful of going to school.

We have all experienced some kind of injustice that leaves a stain on our conscience. When we believe the actions of others should be held accountable and our flesh cries out for them to 'get theirs'.

While I may still have those thoughts from time to time, especially when I see a loved one in the throws of injustice, I also know someone who sees and knows every wrong doing and will make things right.

That someone is God. He promises to act on our behalf if we say we trust Him for the outcome and I do. One example of that promise found in the Bible is within the book of Exodus 14:14, which says, "The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still". That brings relief to my soul and a reassurance to my life.

I can take the above words not only as truth, but speak them to those who are struggling within their own unfathomable situation, to encourage and uplift. That as unjust as the circumstances may be, no good can come from issuing retaliation on the injustice league they face.

So, I fix my eyes on God who can bring proper justice because He never rests until his children are secure in his promises for their lives; they're made new by his healing touch on their hearts and bodies; and they're stronger in his presence to come through a difficult time without taking the law into their own hands.

My most admired example of strength in the face of corruption is Jesus. There are several times in the Bible when Jesus, the son of God, has accusations hurled at him, to which he doesn't defend himself on. Jesus' silence was deafening to his fault finders right up to the Cross, where Jesus was crucified.

The people who put Him there thought it was over but Jesus shocked them in saying, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." (Luke 23:34) Not only did Jesus suffer for all, but he sought forgiveness for those who had no remorse for the punishment they inflicted on the Savior. He is an example of how I wish to be whenever wronged because the forgiveness of injustice, and those who perpetuate it, sets us free and allows us, the accused, to heal and live a life of abundance.

I need to trust God to make things right in my life and those I love - not take matters into my own hands and create a scenario holding irreversible consequences. You, sweet girl, can do the same.

Encouragement for the week:

Personal justice might be on your mind for a wrong doing, but it will only lead to greater heartache in your life. Believe me, I know.

If you are a Christian reading this, you know the key to justice lies in your God because He promises to fight life's battles on your behalf. Continue to trust Him for the outcome of your unjust situation and see what He will do.

If you are not a Christian reading this, you can look for Jesus and you will find Him. He's not only a God of love but He is also one of justice. He sees the wrongs you have had to endure and He can make things right if you accept him into your life and trust him for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment