Monday, November 12, 2018

Let's Be Clear

**A picture of me at the age of seven 
with my friends and sister.**

Being young and impressionable has its merits. As a youngster, I was easily impressed by the things my parents and grandparents did, only because I didn't carry the size or strength to pull off the task.

I was also easily moved by the things my friends and sister did. I would follow the patterns and behaviors I saw whether they were fitting for me or not. I'm sure there may have been an innate knowledge that some of the things I was copying, weren't always beneficial.

What ever the case, my individualism may wasn't as obvious in my younger years as it is now. Being able to think for myself wasn't as imperative as a young girl.  Mimicking everyone else and being in the accepted crowd was far more essential.

Compromise was a far reaching taboo for this awkward lass. Instead, I walked a fine line between nice and naughty in an effort to ensure a certain cute and innocent profile, even though the rebel inside teetered on the edge of mayhem.

What can I say? I didn't exactly put my choices under a microscope before making them at that age. None of us did. We just wanted to have fun. That's what childhood was all about.

Pushing the limits, fighting to fit in, gaining acceptance from our peers, and standing out in a crowd were our life goals. Nothing else really mattered.

Looking at my life today, as a Christian woman, I have a completely different thought process. It's more about becoming the right person, being compassionate, and staying true to my beliefs and convictions. No compromise allowed.

No, that doesn't mean forming legalistic ideologies. It's quite the opposite. It's about sharing a meaningful relationship with God and living by specific and inalienable principles because they keep me free from physical, emotional and mental harm.

And because of that, they keep me in a caring, compassionate and empathetic posture around others. They allow me to be real and vulnerable while keeping me true to the values and beliefs I will, unequivocally, hold to. No matter what.

In this world, and for the sake of my own sanity, I must hold fast to the things that convict me, because that's the only way I will become the woman God created me to be. And I have to say, that's far more important than anything else the world could possibly offer.

Encouragement for the week:

Sweet girl, don't compromise your heart, mind, or body to fit in to the masses that pressure you. An uncompromising spirit will take you further in ways you never thought possible.

If you are a Christian reading this, God created you to be unwavering in your faith and to be true to your convictions. Continue to look to the Lord for the strength to go against the majority.

If you are not a Christian reading this, you can look for Jesus and you will find Him. He sees the pain you suffer when you compromise yourself. He longs to protect you from that. Entering into a relationship with Jesus will enable you to stay true to who you are.






No comments:

Post a Comment