Monday, March 12, 2018

Perplexed In The City

**Photo courtesy of www.google.ca**

The other day I drove to the city (*shudder*). I used to live in a city with over a million people for almost 11 years. At one time, I thought it was the place to be because of its action, fast pace, exciting night life and all the conveniences you could possibly want.

About three and a half years ago, I moved out to the country. What was interesting is that every desire to be in a big city, instantly, left me. The enormity of city life no longer drew me and that excited me. As did the slower pace, longer walks, and sitting up against a bale of hay for hours while sunshine splashed on my face. Things only found in wide, open spaces like the farm I live on.

So, when this trip to the city was required, I began to notice a difference in me. There was anxiety, irritability, and impatience. My heart began to race as I joined the mass of other motorists getting to where they needed to go. I didn't like what was happening in or around me. It felt like insanity.

Every minute of being in the city brought a curiosity of when we were going to leave. I was in the midst of everything I, now, disliked. Yet, I made the best of it and was delighted when it was time to leave and having peace again, increasingly, as I drove further away. Another confirmation that this girl was no longer fit for city life.

It seems that I am not alone in this sentiment. In fact, the Bible talks about Jesus, the Son of God, as a solitary man. While He did great things in the towns and communities He visited, healing and saving people, He valued His time away from everything and everyone.

He craved solitude. It was a time of refreshment and intimacy with His Father, God. He would, often, steal away from the crowds to be alone and pray. In a book called Mark (one of Jesus' disciples), he talks about Jesus as a man who looked forward to being alone. In chapter 1, verse 35, Mark writes, "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed."

I'm not sure in whose house Jesus was staying, but it's obvious He liked His alone time. Perhaps, that's why I enjoy the country life so much. I crave the solitude and openness to meet with my Heavenly Father just as Jesus did. I long to get away from the craziness that life can, sometimes, throw at me. There is peace and contentment that I find every time, without fail, in that solitary place.

Encouragement for the week:

Does the city life gang up on you sometimes? It certainly had an unsavory effect on me in so many ways. Slowing down and taking time in a solitary place is something we should all invest in.

If you are a Christian reading this, you know that we are called to be in solitude with God so that we can better deal with the difficulties and disappointments of life. Take every opportunity you can to be in a solitary place with the Lord.

If you are not a Christian reading this, you can look for Jesus and you will find Him. The quiet and restful places you long for can be found in the loving arms of Jesus. You will find peace and contentment with Him, away from the busyness of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment