Monday, March 5, 2018

Home Sweet Home

**Photo courtesy of www.google.com**

Throughout most of my domestic career, my status has been renter. It was only for a short period of time that I was a homeowner but that was a common law arrangement that ended in disaster. So, I continue to rent. I know there are negative aspects associated with renting but I haven't had a desire to own again.

Though each one of my rental experiences has been different, one thing remains the same - I treat every rental as if it were my home. That is, I respect both the property and the space that I'm living in. I keep things clean and don't abuse the privileges I have of renting someone else's space. After all, it is still theirs whether they live in the building or not.

I never had wild parties or let garbage build up. There weren't friends who slept on my couch to sleep off a hangover or was loud music ever being played at all hours of the night. As rebellious as I was in action over many of my years, I was always responsible when it came to renting whether it was a room in a house, basement suite or entire house. There was just no other way.

That's why it baffles me when I hear stories about renters who have destroyed property that isn't theirs. I just can't wrap my head around why a property that isn't theirs would be so disrespected. For the past couple years I've taken on the responsibility of managing a property and I have seen first-hand what can happen in a rental situation. How one person's home can be completely taken for granted and abused by others. It is upsetting to see.

Then I have to stop myself and keep in mind that not everyone lives as I would which is still a bit bizarre because, at the end of the day, I think common sense and respect should preside over most things.

However, in my own human nature, I have to shift to other things otherwise what I have seen can upset me and consume my every thought. Seeing the unkempt reality actually reminded me of how many people have no home to go to. No rental to pay in exchange for a dry, warm, and safe environment. Then my thoughts go to all the homeless near me and far from me and I become saddened.

In the Bible, there is a man who never had a home of his own, not permanently on Earth anyway. That man was Jesus. Though He traveled many miles helping people and doing miraculous things, He never had a place to call home. In a book called Matthew, one of Jesus' disciples, Matthew writes the words of Jesus who said, "Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." (Matthew 8:20).

That, alone, puts things into perspective for me, especially when I am confused and upset about something as insignificant as dirty walls or carpets that are not vacuumed. It could be a lot worse I suppose.

Encouragement for the week:

As a homeowner, you don't want to see anything get damaged if you have decided to turn your home into a rental property but, realistically, things will happen. That's where you have to be somewhat removed from getting too upset.

If you are a Christian reading this, you know that our earthly homes are temporary and that we are to have our eyes turned to our eternal home in heaven which will never wear down. During the tough times of life, especially if you are a landlord, remember where your true home is.

If you are not a Christian reading this, you can look for Jesus and you will find Him. He cares for you and He has a wonderful home planned for you when you enter into a relationship with Him.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work to link renting with the circumstances of Jesus's earthly ministry. Well done. :-)

    ReplyDelete