Monday, August 6, 2018

Monkey See, Monkey Do


Ah, my sistie. She was my idol. I would follow her around, doing the things she did and saying the things she said. She had a significant 'influence' on me growing up.

I wanted to be everywhere she was because I wanted to be like her. Sometimes when other people know how much you adore them, there is the possibility that they will use that knowledge to their advantage and your detriment.

While my loyalty may have been tested by way of cat food and peanut butter (not together), there came a time when my sister's influence wore off and I became a separate entity.

There is an intrinsic truth to doing unto others what you would have done unto you. Yet, when it comes to the early years as siblings, that truth can't and won't be appreciated or exercised until much later. Until then, parents brace themselves for what their little girls may say or do to each other.

Today, I definitely take that truth, above, to heart and display it as much as possible. Nowadays, the only ammo my sister sprays me with are words of encouragement and inspiration.

I have seen her go through a lot of struggles in her life and come out the other side as a kind, loving, and compassionate human being. She endeavors to make things right when a wrong has been committed and she would give her life for her kids.

I may have wanted to get even with her countless times, growing up, for all the things she manipulated me to do but that has faded with the passing years.

The only thing this monkey wants is see the best in others, treat them with respect, and do my utmost for God's highest. To ensure others know they are loved and monkey around whenever possible. Life is too short not to.

If you find you're doing more battle than beauty in your life, stop and take a break, sweet girl. You might have a relentless sibling you deal with who tries to persuade your ways but don't let it get you down.

Love them as you endeavor to be the right person who will come out ahead as a girl who is on track to be of great and positive influence to others.

Encouragement for the week:

Living a young life beside siblings isn't easy especially if you are receiving some heavy stuff. Know that you are loved in the midst of it all by a perfect God who sees you for who you truly are - beautiful.

If you are a Christian reading this, you know that God has your name engraved on the palm of His hand. There's no way for it to leave. Walk in the light of that truth and continue to do unto others as you would have done unto you.

If you are not a Christian reading this, you can look for Jesus and you will find Him. He sees your difficulties in life and waits, patiently, at the door of your heart. Be not afraid to open the door and let Him in.

2 comments: