Monday, July 9, 2018

The Mamas And The Papas


No, not the band, but specifically, my Mama and Papa. They look pretty happy in the picture above. So, would it be safe to say that I brought them joy? You bet! Just like you brought elation to your mama and papa.

As a mother myself, there is not greater excitement than seeing your child for the very first time. For me, it was the moment I, genuinely, fell in love. It was an incredible experience that never leaves me and is, often, recalled in moments of quiet reflection.

Being a parent is no small task and as kids, we don't truly appreciate the efforts and sacrifices of our parents until we step into parenthood ourselves. Especially if the pregnancy is unexpected or unplanned. Yet, some of the best things in life are unplanned. My pregnancy was unplanned but one of the greatest blessings in my life.

As an infant, while I wasn't fully aware of what my parents were doing to provide for me, I just knew I was cared for and loved. It didn't take a second thought to love them in return. It was natural and comforting to know I had two parents whose world was focused on my life and well being.

Of course, I didn't fully appreciate my parents, and all they did for me, until I was in my twenties and had my own son. Navigating through motherhood took everything I had as I was dealing with post-partum depression, which brought on a lot of anxiety and panic attacks.

Nonetheless, being a parent is hard work and not for the faint of heart. You become responsible for someone who looks to you to provide everything in his/her life. To love, care for, and protect them in all situations. If that doesn't make you nervous, I'm not sure what would.

Yet, nothing will fill your heart or life more than staring into the eyes of that little human being for the first time and, realizing, they came from you and were formed in your own body. To this day, that reality still blows my mind and I don't take parenthood lightly even though I am past my child bearing years.

Babies and children are to be treasured and, in the Bible, there are many instances when Jesus, the Son of God, would spend time with children, welcoming them into His presence. He loved their innocence, purity, and willingness to trust. It enabled them to come to know Jesus in a special way and recognize they could trust Him completely with their hearts. Having a close relationship with Jesus was like second nature to them. That's why Jesus never turned away a baby or child.

We should conduct ourselves the way Jesus did because too many things in this world can threaten the innocence and purity of a little one. For me, my innocence was lost when I experienced abuse by the hands of someone I knew at a very young age. While this life event is something I will address in a future post, I can tell you it changed me in ways I could have never anticipated.

Encouragement for the week:

My friend, was your innocence protected growing up? I truly hope so. If not, I'm very sorry and I understand. Our parents do their very best but can't always be where the threat exists.

While there is no reasonable excuse why that bad thing happened, I can tell you that it will become a part of your unique story and only you will be able to bring healing and wholeness to others because of it. You will help others just as I hope to.

If you are a Christian reading this, you know that your value, identity, and purpose lies in God. He watches over you at all times, from the moment He formed you, until now, whether that is as a young girl, teen, or mature woman. You are not a mistake and no matter what you have gone through or if bad things have happened in your life, you can trust God with your heart.

If you are not a Christian reading this, you can look for Jesus and you will find Him and all the truths He possesses about you. No matter what has happened in your life, you are not a mistake. You are loved and you can find true security and care in a relationship with Jesus Christ. There is no other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment