Monday, July 23, 2018

The Cake And I


Me, my birthday cake, and the Hiawatha flyer. Perfection. After having just celebrated another birthday, recently, it's interesting how my perspective about life has changed.

Of course I know that as time passes, I'm getting older, not younger. That realization alone could be depressing but I have chosen to take a different stance. I'm recognizing so many other things.

The little nuances of life that I experienced as that baby girl were lost on me for obvious reasons. I was young, immature, and inexperienced in the issues of life. That's true for everyone.

What makes the difference as a mature woman, and maturing more every year, is that I'm taking notice of the smaller things rather than the bigger because it's the snapshot moments that make the collage.

I have even made a practice of taking the week prior to my birthday and securing inventory of my life from the previous year. Have I changed? Has my life become what I thought it would?

I think we can all admit that life doesn't always take us where we want to go but, then again, did we really know where that was in the first place?

It's reflecting on the past that causes the greatest introspection because, somehow, my life became a train wreck back then with cars of depression, self-destruction, self-hatred, and addictions strewn along the tracks.

While I have been saved from all that by the grace of God, I can't help but think of how many women, like my former self, are still out there. It's a saddening point of contention for me.

Yet, it's that empathy for the hurting girls and women out there that insist I live with intent and compassion. That I reach out when I can to be a hearing ear and a holding hand.

It's to be aware and ready to seize those moments in life that seem small but actually yield the biggest results. Like sitting on a blanket in a park and enjoying a piece of red velvet cake while being surrounded by loved ones.

Like looking into the eyes of a scared girl and telling her it will be okay. That she's not alone, she matters and is loved.

May each of my birthdays be much more than just about me. May you know that you were meant to be a strong and confident young woman, with no concern for the world's opinions.

Encouragement for the week:

Though birthdays come and go, may you recognize the precious meaning behind your special day. You are not a mistake, my sweet girl.

If you are a Christian reading this, you already know that God chose you to bless the world with your birth. Don't let that incredible truth be lost. Celebrate it!

If you are not a Christian reading this, you can look for Jesus and you will find Him. He created and chose you for such a time as this. He is waiting for you to ask Him into your heart and life so that you can know the truth of your beauty as His daughter.






No comments:

Post a Comment