Monday, July 2, 2018

My Sistah From The Same Mistah


There she is...my sistie. Born in October of 1970, she patiently awaited my arrival even though I'm not sure she really wanted a sibling or not. Yet, there I was and there we are in the photo above. I'm still five months old and it's still my first Christmas.

For some, a sibling can bring a cornucopia of emotions. For siblings can mean so many things. They can torment, tease, or protect. They can love, manipulate, or ignore.

Whatever the case may be, brothers and sisters become a part of a bigger family picture. They can also bring a certain dynamic to an, already, complicated marriage if it's challenging.

For me, it meant someone to play with and look up to. She was taller than me, after all. However, knowing my loyalty to her was stronger than to my parents, you may be thinking it was used to her advantage. It was.

Nonetheless, she would always be my sister and having a relationship with her was important. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't smooth sailing at all times.

There were times when I hated her and other times when I missed and embraced her. We didn't always see eye to eye but we did agree to disagree when it happened.

There were instances when we didn't talk for years or fought every time we talked. So, it goes without saying that our youngest years together were the simplest and there is no one who has your back like your brother or sister. Just don't expect that to happen overnight.

All that being said, I have a great relationship with my sistie today. We've never been closer. It takes time to harvest good relationships. Who knew the toughest to produce would be within your own family.

In the Bible, which is considered to be the living word of God, talked about how Jesus, the Son of God, was rejected by those closest to Him, yes even His own family. Yet, that rejection and persecution never stopped Jesus from loving them.

So, my dear friend, when things in your family life get you down and the relationship with your brother or sister are making you crazy, don't let it stop you from loving them - openly or secretly. Down the road, it's that love that will bring you to a better place with them. No matter what they did to you.

Encouragement for the week:

Being young and at odds with your brother or sister can be tough. Especially when you are already fighting against some things in your life. I understand.

You are a beloved daughter and of precious value. Don't allow others to define your worth.

If you are a Christian reading this, God created you to be a unique girl and woman in Christ. The world never has a say over who you are, for God already made it so when He formed you. You are beautiful. Let it shine.

If you are not a Christian reading this, you can look for Jesus and you will find Him. He holds the truth about you in Him. As you reach out for Him, He will tell you who you really are and empty you of all the lies this world tries to tell you.


No comments:

Post a Comment