Monday, May 14, 2018

Tugging At Heartstrings

**Photography by Melissa Talbot**

Our hearts can be pulled in multiple directions at any given time. We bring soup to someone who is physically ill or sit at the side of a dear friend whose heart has been broken. There are so many things that can move us and tug at our heartstrings.

For me, it doesn't take something big to move me to compassion, or feel empathy for an individual facing something life-changing. However, there are times my heart can be tugged by selfish things. When the longing for my own agenda and preferences to how things should happen, are more important. That is a harsh truth but truth, nonetheless.

Yet, in comparing my life before and after God, there really is no comparison. I was a mess without Him. I was navigating life with a broken compass. I thought I knew what the best in life looked like, when in reality, I didn't. My heart was tugged by the material or physical things that, inevitably, left me unsatisfied.

Now, with God, I still think I know what I want but, honestly, God knows better and my heart is tugged for the same things as His. It's just easier to make decisions in my life because of God. Weird but factual. When fighting with myself about wanting what I want, I am reminded of something Jesus, the Son of God, said in the Bible.

He knew it wasn't all about what He wanted, although, He did have a heart tugging moment when He was facing death on the Cross. Yet, instead of insisting on His own way, He spoke words that are in a book of the Bible called Luke. Luke was a follower of Jesus and saw the things that Jesus had to face.

Luke recorded Jesus' humility and willingness to put Himself aside for the best - God's best. In Luke 22:42 Jesus spoke, "Not my will, but yours be done". Meaning, Jesus already knew that the best was yet to come by choosing something other than what He wanted. I want the same.

When I'm stuck in a heart tugging moment about something I think I should have now, let me be reminded of the above, because there is really nothing better than what God has planned. Instead of stopping short of greater things, let my heart be tugged by what God wants for me - the best.

Encouragement for the week:

What tugs at your heartstrings? Is it a longing to do what's best for now?

Would you be willing to wait if you knew the best was yet to come?

If you are a Christian reading this, you know that God always has the best plan in place for you and that His will is far better and more satisfying than anything in this world that might try to get your attention. Keep moving toward God's heart and what it holds for you.

If you are not a Christian reading this, you can look for Jesus and you will find Him and all the best He has for you. He will help you make the best choices at the right time that will bring satisfaction to your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment