Monday, April 23, 2018

Welcome To FAN...tasy Island!

**Photo courtesy of www.google.ca**


I have heard sayings like, "No man is an island....Every man is an island", but does that also apply to women? It's not so much that I am or am not an island, but rather would like to BE on an island...by myself...with none of the stress or annoyances that can often be found in everyday life. Yet, why is it when we have some time away, the vacation days go by so fast?

Work days certainly don't do that, not in my experience, anyway. Perhaps, that's because I have often found myself in situations where I disliked my job but that goes back to the basic principle of choice. You have a choice to find a really good job, maybe something different, that will challenge you in a different field or skill set.

Or you can go with your default 'setting' and choose a job that feels like you are being typecast into a role you don't necessarily want but the money's good. Kind of like Jennifer Aniston being the main character in a lot of romantic comedies. You end up going back to what you're good at instead of being radical and doing something that challenges you and makes you breathe air, deeply, into your lungs.

I want radical....I like radical. Not just because I get antsy in the same kind of job but because I'm getting older each day and the things I would really like to do keep passing me by unless I take the bull by the horns. Hence, my attraction to being on an island by myself. I want to try it. Maybe after I do it, the intrinsic and curious nature might rub off but I would still welcome the opportunity to try.

While doing crazy things like vacationing on an island sans other people might be a fantasy, there are a lot of things in my head that are not only plausible but doable, so why not do them? Yes, money might be a factor, but there are a lot of things that don't cost an arm and a leg to do. It just takes courage and a strong intestinal tract to do them...some of them.

In any case, I don't want to be known as a person who never tried something different because she never wanted to leave the house once she got home from work. As ridiculous as that sounds, it has happened at times, when I have had enough of the daily grind, noise, demands, and just want to hide and be left alone.

When we are overwhelmed, there is a hermit deep inside of us that screams and wants to hide from the world and our lives. Why not go on an African safari instead? After all, we are only limited by our imagination, aren't we? I've gone places in my life that I never thought I would go. I am hoping to continue that trend as long as I possibly can. I hope you are too. The only limitation standing in your way may very well be you. So, welcome yourself to fantasy island!

Encouragement for the week:

Why not do something radical? No, I'm not talking about something illegal, immoral, or unethical. More like something you are afraid to do or always wanted to do.

If you are a Christian reading this, you know that nothing is impossible with God if we believe. Step out and tell God your deepest and wildest dreams. You just never know where He will take you.

If you are not a Christian reading this, you can look for Jesus and you will find Him. He is ready and wanting to take you on the kinds of adventures you have only dreamed of.


2 comments: