Monday, February 19, 2018

I Mrs. Doubtfire It!!

**Photo courtesy of www.google.ca**

Desperate times call for desperate measures, especially when you are Robin Williams' character in Mrs. Doubtfire. A beloved tale of one father's heart cry to be with his kids when his marriage dissolves.

As his time goes from full to part with them, he does what any father would do out of love for his kids...he becomes a woman?? Not just any woman but a well rounded, British woman with a flair for the sarcastic. My kind of lady!

Famous lines like, "Brace yourself Effie!", and, "Oh, it was a drive-by fruiting!", pale in comparison to the signature look and fashion statement of the lead character, Euphegenia Doubtfire.

Hijinx ensues and this staunch gal is met with one difficult situation after another. However, it isn't long before Robin Williams' true identity is revealed and his desperate efforts to spend more time with his kids are over. He's devastated.

While the movie ended with an amicable arrangement between the divorced spouses, desperate times can make us do some extreme things. I have been desperate - to have a relationship with my son, be married, and come to a place of true contentment about myself. It was hard for me to accept disappointment when my desperation only brought heartache.

Many of us strive to gain things in our lives that might not be good for us. Unfortunately, it's after times of desperation, anxiety, fear, and discouragement that make us realize the things we were running after weren't worth pursuing.

I can really relate to Robin Williams' plight in the movie. Honestly, I probably would have done the same thing. Yet, when I entered into a relationship with God and started to learn about His ways and see things from His perspective, I learned to slow down and my desperation faded.

I still desire the things I once was desperate for but I can, now, react in a way that helps, not hurts, me. It has taken a long time and I still fight impatience, but not nearly as much.

But I know a man who was so desperate, that he gave his life. This man was Jesus Christ (the Son of God), and His desperation was for the people of the world. For the lost, broken, and hurting.

His desperation was so great, that He suffered crucifixion on a cross in order for you and I to be saved from our own desperation. Isn't that amazing?

It doesn't compare to the things I believe I need to be desperate about. Not even close.

Encouragement for the week:

Have you been in a time of desperation similar to that of Robin Williams' character? Did your reaction to it bring good results?

If you are a Christian reading this, you know that Jesus' desperation for you is reason enough to lay down the things you feel desperate about. He is our rescuer in times like that and He will never disappoint.

If you are not a Christian reading this, you can look for Jesus and you will find Him. He is completely desperate for you because of His love to see you come close to Him. He will help you in the agonizing things of your life.






No comments:

Post a Comment