Monday, January 15, 2018

You Can Choose

**Photo courtesy of google.ca**

Perhaps the greatest gift we have been given is the freedom to choose. To decide a different path in life. To ponder something pleasant over something dreaded. To pursue a passion and take risks instead of playing it safe.

Sometimes we perceive things in our lives as something we are held in. However, that very thing has developed an opening, though ever so slightly. One that is letting in a realization of truth. The truth of choice.

I recently experienced the enormity of choice. Just when I thought I had placed myself in a situation that had no choices, I felt God speak into my mind about that very scenario with the words, "You can decide."

"What?", I thought. How can that be? If I, initially,  believed that I must enter into this commitment as part of obeying God, and now a door of exit is being opened, how exactly does that work? It makes no sense...right?

The amount of time between me accepting the circumstance and hearing God say those three words to me was, literally, weeks. My mind was being blown as the words echoed in my head.

God was changing my perception by lovingly and eagerly telling me that there was another option. I had been met by the Creator of the universe who was giving me an amazing opportunity to decide my own life direction.

My mind never went to all the crazy things I could think of choosing.  Nor did it conjure images of anything immoral,  illegal, or unethical. On the contrary. All thoughts and ideas gravitated toward good, pleasing, and exciting things and how I could glorify God in all of them.

In the Bible, there is a book called Romans. In it, there is mention of God's will - the things He has for us to do and experience in our lives when we decide to follow Him. Romans 12:2 says, "...you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing, and perfect will."

That's right. What God has for us in our lives, no matter what, is good. Whether a challenge or a blessing, something good has the potential of coming from it. It couldn't be more true than it is right now.

Being free to choose excites me. It makes me do a dance that no person should ever feel good about dancing in public while expecting his or her audience to keep a straight face. I feel like I have been set free all over again. Just like the day when I said, "Yes" to following God.

So, the things I am being given freedom to choose, while scary and unknown, gives me a certain confidence to live life with an adventurous spirit, to take risks along the way, and live out loud in the fullness that God intended.

Encouragement for the week:

How would a freedom to choose change you? Your life?

Making decisions in line with desires and passions is a freedom unlike any other. Especially when they are good and pleasing.

If you are a Christian reading this, you know that because of Christ, you have freedom. Don't allow your life to become hindered with debt, possessions, and immorality - the very things that will steal your freedom to live out the full life God desires for you.

If you are not a Christian reading this, you can look for Jesus and you will find Him. The freedom that awaits you in Him will bring so many other freeing choices for your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment