Monday, August 21, 2017

Outstretched And Open

**Photo courtesy of Google**

There is something strangely satisfying about cutting grass with a zero turn riding lawn mower, especially when you live on an acreage, like I do. With the slightest push of my hands, forward and backward, and greatest of ease, the mower can be moved in any direction. It hugs trees and zooms down the straightaways, planting a smile on this carefree face.

For me, cutting grass is one of the best mindless tasks, freeing up my thoughts to ponder greater things. One of those things has been reflecting on the challenge of letting go. More specifically and lately, practicing the art of letting go of the hopes and dreams I had for my life. It's ironic that I was thinking this as my hands death gripped the mower handles while grass cutting, but I was.

Just like I had to pry my hands off the handles after completing the mowing, some things we hold onto tightly, in life, also require our hands to be pried off of. Things that can take over our thoughts and actions so much that we lose sight of what it really means to enjoy everyday life. I have been guilty of this for many years.

I used to believe that only marriage would bring fullness and happiness to my life. That without sex, I would die. That if I didn't bring enough readers to my blog, I would be a failure. That if I didn't keep trying to have a relationship with my son now, it would never happen.

Tighter and tighter my grip became on these things and before long, it's all that consumed my thoughts and, inevitably, created frustration. Frustration at things not happening because of my self-driven determination to see them come to pass, followed by misery and discontentment.

It has taken, literally, decades to wade through the muck of who I really am and what needs to be the priorities in life. Enjoying life, continuing to dream, and staying true to my faith while waiting are just a few.

What really matters is practicing all the valuable things that I have learned in my life. Not only from experiences but also from my faith and the Bible. The gratitude I have for knowing God often surpasses my own understanding. The freedom from worry, anxiety, and stress by living a life controlled by someone who knows exactly what He's doing...priceless.

The knowledge that holding nothing tightly only leaves room for greater things to come into my life, is unfathomable yet comforting. I used to want everything in my life to turn out exactly how I imagined it should. Then after seeing it all through the lens of faith, I saw a train wreck at the worst possible time.

Holding onto mediocre and 'feel good' things now, leaves no room for the incredible and best there is to come. It's not worth holding onto the steering wheel when you're headed for the ditch. Nor is it worth expecting good things to happen while holding on to what we've settled for.

If I am willing, which I am, then I can wait. With outstretched, open, and empty hands, I leave room for them to be filled with all kinds of great experiences and blessings.

Encouragement for the week:

It's hard not to want something badly. We all have something in our lives that we don't want to let go of or give up, but is that preventing us from gaining something better?

There is freedom in letting go. It takes the pressure off ourselves and our hearts so that peace and contentment can take over, making life more enjoyable.

If you are waiting for something, that's okay. The longer it takes, the greater it's going to be once it arrives. Enjoy the wait.

If you are a Christian, you know the importance of letting go of the past so that God can take you into the future He has planned for you. Use a pry bar if you have to.

If you are not a Christian, look for Jesus and you will find Him. He has incredible things for you and will help you let go of your past so that you can enjoy your life while you wait for your future.









No comments:

Post a Comment