Monday, August 28, 2017

It's Simple

"He has made everything beautiful in its time..." - Ecclesiastes 3:11

**Photography by Melissa Talbot**

The best things in life are simple and give me tremendous peace and joy. Riding on the fender of a 1210 Case tractor while watching it cut hay, eating a fresh from-the-oven banana nut muffin, and sitting by a campfire while gazing at the star studded night sky, are some of these things.

Perhaps the best of the simple things in my life is in the quiet mornings, when I meet with God. Sitting on the couch and looking at the open field, majestic trees, and a passing bird, bring me into a place where I can leave my busy mind and heavy heart behind.

In fact, the word 'simple' has come to mean a lot in the past couple years. Maybe because I have grown a couple years older and, hopefully, wiser. I'm not sure if this acronym exists but here is what simple looks like for me:

S - Sitting
I - In
M - Morning
P - Prayer
L - Listening
E - Expectantly

Sitting, waiting, and listening are three easy activities to do on their own. However, when you are trying to do all three at once, it can be a challenge. Especially when you are really wanting or needing a reply. I've come to learn that if I don't get an answer right away to the things I am asking, and as long as I have peace, I'm in a good place and the answer will eventually come because God promises to answer.

I've also learned that some things are better left unsaid or undone, especially, in a stressful or frustrating situation where I might not be thinking clearly and emotions are heightened. Simple. Then there are times when I must allow myself some time to ask and answer key questions before being involved with something unsavory in nature.

Questions such as: Is this a battle worth fighting? Will this matter in a year? A month? A week? Most of the time, I can answer 'no' right away and move on to something else more light hearted.

Life is too short to not enjoy each day or take yourself too seriously, and laughter can, often, be the remedy to almost every situation. Meeting a difficulty head on with grace, compassion, and effective communication can make all the difference. It can be that simple.

Not to put a stamp on everything in life and say that this or that is simple and easy to navigate because there are certain things that you need to tread lightly in. Things that require more thought and intentional action. Things that, while they may seem simple on the surface, can quickly become complicated. Relationships of every kind can certainly be one of those things.

I used to be a very materialistic person who held stuff and money in high esteem. I could never make enough money or collect enough stuff to bring happiness, contentment, or peace. It actually created the opposite, mainly because the possessions racked up debt which then brought stress and inner chaos. The things I owned soon owned me and I had to file bankruptcy just to get free.

Once I became a Christian, God taught me the importance of managing money while simplifying thought processes and, ultimately, my life. The possessions became fewer while my peace and contentment became greater. It was freeing to discover something that, many years earlier, was foreign to me.

Now, I strive to keep my life simple and if that means purging things I don't need or paying something forward, I'm happy to do it. I also take more time to do things that are simple and enjoyable. There is a wonderful blessing in keeping things simple. Yes, the best things in life are free, but they're also simple.

Encouragement for the week:

Have you ever wanted to simplify your life but don't know where to begin? How about starting with the small stuff. Donate unread or unwanted books to your local church or library. Purge your wardrobe of fashion relics and give them to a thrift store for others to enjoy.

Taking these smaller steps will lead to the bigger things in need of simplicity that you have been putting off. Yes, it can be that simple.

If you are a Christian, you know that Jesus doesn't place any value on the things here on earth. In fact, He says in Matthew 6:19 - "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal." (NIV) There is freedom in simplicity.

If you are not a Christian, look for Jesus and you will find Him and the freedom you can enjoy each day, simply, by knowing Him.





No comments:

Post a Comment