Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wherever You Go

There's a saying, 'Wherever you go, there you are', meaning no matter where you go in this world to escape yourself, you will always find one thing to be consistent...you. You can't get away from yourself, no matter how hard you try.

Before I became a Christian, I spent most of my adult life running. Mostly running away from myself but oddly enough I kept getting frustrated because I always met myself with me at each subsequent destination. Whether it was a new city or a new job, there I was. How annoying!!! LOL

I often hear people say that they would like to take some time away, get away from themselves and I can't help but chuckle because I remember being in the exact situation of wanting to get away from ME! Away from my annoying habits, self destructive nature, character traits that would often bring about nausea and so many other things I tried to escape. But it doesn't quite work that way.

Now that I am a Christian, this same saying has taken on a whole new meaning for me. When I think of it, for me, it means that wherever I go, God will be with me. It doesn't matter if I'm in the enchantment of Italy or on the beaches of Hawaii...God will be there. He promises to be there for each and every one of us. And at this point of my life, leaving on my own to explore the unknown territory of Costa Rica, that promise means more than I can possibly articulate. It brings me peace even though I face a storm of chaos within me. It brings me comfort when I'm crying tears of fear in the darkness. And it brings me strength to walk forward in faith even though I am petrified.

So here I am, with God, preparing to leave not knowing anything that lies ahead but knowing that I have peace, the peace of God because He promises that too. That's great for this girl! A Canadian girl, leaving Canada on Canada Day and travelling on an American airline. Yeah, there's a joke in there somewhere!

Adios amigos! Dios te bendiga!!

No comments:

Post a Comment